My Custom Mods - GitHub

Share interesting stuff you have found or created yourself.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: My Custom Mods - GitHub

Post by Feralidragon »

For video capture, if you have an Nvidia card, then you should use ShadowPlay.

If your card is not too old (like from 10 years ago for example), then it has a native MP4 encoder specifically for this, meaning that ShadowPlay is able to record with a lot of quality with seemingly no performance impact, since the capture is encoded by the hardware itself.

One golden rule to remember: Github is awesome for developers, but way too complicated for normal users.
Github should remain your "go to" place for the actual source, maybe opening technical issues, etc.

But for normal users you should release it in platforms that are user-friendly and where people are going to look for these things to download them (such as ModDB).

If there's a project you have released or are about to release, and you really want for people to know about it and try it out, then don't limit yourself to one channel.
At that point you should also show it in UT99 discord servers, other active UT forums (although these days this one is pretty much THE active forum), maybe even other modding-related platforms that support UT99 (GameBanana is one of them I think).
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Yeah OjitroC, though cf. ZDoom, which sees new mods every now and then, but they keep getting attention. For example, Corruption Cards isn't old really, but when it came out it made quite a buzz. Same with some of Marisa Kirisame's mods.

I think UT needs some... revitalization. It needs a way to develop that is both more accessible, and easier for teams to cooperate over. GitHub and CI builds could be at least some of the missing pieces in this jigsaw, enabling a re-energized modding scene. But we also need more people coming over from other corners of the Internet who have an interest in learning how to mod. And, of course, we need a place where we can gather and update learning resources on UT modding and such (the BeyondUnreal Unreal Wiki is a time capsule, not a wiki, and the OldUnreal Wiki is not nearly comprehensive enough), as well as assets and the like.

As for presentation, it has always mattered. Most mods that make a buzz have at least basic presentation to make themselves look like they deserve a click and a playthrough.

But a handful don't need presentation, only reputation. They can spread via word of mouth or by sharing on other social media websites, or, also likely, people go and watch videos about these types of mods, then click the download link in the description.

I mean, sorry Yholl, but one would have to be under North Korean duress to call this presentation.

"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

The mention is appreciated. I've definitely made a better name for myself in the Doom community, considering it's far easier to get noticed (plenty of people actively streaming the game, mod reviewers on youtube, etc.).

If there's one thing the UT side of things lacks, it's just that, ways to showcase mods to a larger audience, publicity.
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

I've had the chance to try out Headhunter and juggernaut. Only weird thing that I've noticed so far is that the headhunter timer is appearing behind the character status icon (top right). Infection for whatever reason is not showing up on gametype list; blank spot.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Old UT Veteran wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:06 pm Infection for whatever reason is not showing up on gametype list; blank spot.
That's odd - I can get it to show up OK - is there an error in the .int file? Any indication in the log?
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:20 pm
Old UT Veteran wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:06 pm Infection for whatever reason is not showing up on gametype list; blank spot.
That's odd - I can get it to show up OK - is there an error in the .int file? Any indication in the log?
I was testing this out a clean version of the game. It seems that there a few more files required, that which pertain to ChaosUT in order to get it to work. Though, if interested, this was the only one missing so far: "Warning: Failed to load 'Infection': Can't find file for package 'ChaosSounds'" Could be more.

Afterwards, it shows up no problem.
1337GameDev
Skilled
Personal rank: GameDev

Post by 1337GameDev »

Old UT Veteran wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:31 pm
OjitroC wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:20 pm
I was testing this out a clean version of the game. It seems that there a few more files required, that which pertain to ChaosUT in order to get it to work. Though, if interested, this was the only one missing so far: "Warning: Failed to load 'Infection': Can't find file for package 'ChaosSounds'" Could be more.

Afterwards, it shows up no problem.
Ahhh, yup, I assumed everybody would have at minimum the GOTY edition as that's the version sold everywhere.

I can add a dependency check if needed and mention that it needs chaosUT for dinner sounds (the skulls and other effects).

Automatically merged

Old UT Veteran wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:06 pm I've had the chance to try out Headhunter and juggernaut. Only weird thing that I've noticed so far is that the headhunter timer is appearing behind the character status icon (top right). Infection for whatever reason is not showing up on gametype list; blank spot.
I'll see about fixing that, as it might be because the HUDMutator for the game hud is drawn before the user's "challenge hud."

Hmm, not sure how to change that priority without shuffling the mutator chain / some other way to ensure my mod is drawn last.

But it honestly shouldn't overlap the current HUD, and I might have a bug in my position logic for it (it's hard to test at different resolutions).
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

Had the chance to fully try out all 3 gametypes. Headhunter is probably my favorite and I think its awesome. I like the approach you took, the gametypes feel special in their own way and distinguished, not to mention you can customize a lot in all 3. Aside the weird timer/counter issue I've had with the HUD, its nice to have a HUD that works. Most custom mods I've seen keep track of the score in the Log or somewhere in the ether.

Also that, C4 mod is also pretty fun to use. Maybe in the future there's a chance of a defuse the bomb kind of gamemode? :ironic:
One team defends, other attacks a random bomb spawn on DM/DOM map.

FYI, I did find a spectator bug in Infection; It appears that the game will assign a "team" to the spectator. If you're given a "human" team while spectating a match, the match will not end when only the "zombie" players are left on the map. It also appears that the game will give the spectator a zombie role as well. That is not a huge issue when you end a match because technically you're already out as a zombie; however, it did happen that the spectator is considered the only zombie on map if minimal zombies on start is 1. I watched bots run around the map with no 'tangible' zombie anywhere.

Spectator human:
Shot00002.png
Also, the green and blue icons on the bottom don't seem to count anything, I assume this is to show player # on each side? Perhaps this weird spectator case has something to do with it.

Zombies only:
Shot00003.png
1337GameDev
Skilled

Post by 1337GameDev »

Hmm, I have to do some more testing. I'll have to replicate the spectator game scoring UI bug. They should update with current team counts -- as provided by TeamInfo / TeamReplicationInfo.

Thanks for finding the spectator bug with them being chosen. In infection, I assign all players to a "neutral" team, which is the red team I believe.

Then, zombies are green, and humans are blue.

I forgot an extra parameter in my code for

Code: Select all

LGDUtilities.PawnHelper.GetRandomPlayerPawnOrBot
to specify spectators -- based upon:

Engine.Pawn.PlayerReplicationInfo.bIsSpectator

-- are to be included. I added this, as well as added it to

LGDUtilities.PawnHelper.GetAllPawnsOfTeam()
I still need to add an extra check for spectators for scoring, checking if humans/zombies remain and etc (for the ones that aren't involving the above methods).

For the overlapping, I must have calculated some offsets wrong. I looked at

Botpack.ChallengeHUD

and I am a bit confused on some of the scaling code.

I looked at it and see 2 fields for that class --

Botpack.ChallengeHUD.Scale
and

Botpack.ChallengeHUD.HUDScale
Scale is set in:

Botpack.ChallengeHUD.uc

Line 312 in

HUDSetup()

It seems to be a ratio of the current set global hud scale (as HUDScale is marked as

globalconfig
and the width of the hud (Canvas.ClipX)
and 1280. Must have been used to help scale parts of the hud that were designed for a maximum width of 1280 :noidea

I did find

Botpack.ChallengeHUD.StatusScale
which seems to be a custom scale for the "status doll" of the HUD.

I'll have to experiment to tinker with this to prevent overlapping. I found a methodology in the RadarHUD mutator to detect overlaps and correct them as I noticed a few overlaps with Assault/DeathmatchPlus gametypes. My code works, but i'll need some tinkering to get it to scale correctly for the HeadHunter code, as this uses HUDScale and Scale of the ChallengeHUD and i'm a bit confused on that right now....

Thanks for looking at my code and testing it. I really appreciate it and will get a new version pushed out soon. I fixed a handful of bugs already with various helpers and static functions, as well as the IndicatorHUD class logic. I also found an issue with the C4 and item spawner weapons, if they are dropped / on the ground and them still rendering a ghost object.
1337GameDev
Skilled

Post by 1337GameDev »

:rock:

I have finally updated my mods to fix those issues and a bunch of others I found in debugging those.

https://github.com/1337GameDev/Ut99Mods/releases/

Thanks for testing them and giving feedback.

As noted before, my mods DO require ChaosUT and Relics, and that has been noted in my Readme. I have no added code checks for these yet. You can also use the Ut99-GOTY version and everything is included in that.