-->aqueen<--- the package does not match

Discussions about UT99
Buggie
Godlike

Re: -->aqueen<--- the package does not match

Post by Buggie »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:26 pm You can try the patch out by duplicating your /System folder and installing the patch in one of the two folders (obviously renaming one of the 2 folders something other than System).
Wanna mention, patch alter not only content from System folder. Also it is alter textures (new fonts) and other stuff. So possible better duplicate whole UT dir.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Buggie wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:59 pm
OjitroC wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:26 pm You can try the patch out by duplicating your /System folder and installing the patch in one of the two folders (obviously renaming one of the 2 folders something other than System).
Wanna mention, patch alter not only content from System folder. Also it is alter textures (new fonts) and other stuff. So possible better duplicate whole UT dir.
Yeah, forgot to mention the textures - I've not had any problems though with those in any of the versions. Not sure what else is altered (other than the addition of /SystemLocalized which, for me, is of little or no value - though I recognise that that is not going to be the case for many people)?

I haven't duplicated or triplicated my whole UT install simply because I don't have the disc space (current UT install c170GB) and things work OK as is - but, certainly, if people have the space then it is going to be better to duplicate the whole thing.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

If you have a lot of content in UT that you want to keep between both installs, you could place all that content elsewhere in a separate directory, and then you could create a new "directory" in each install as a symbolic link to the directory with that content.

You would also need to edit the .ini file to add the possible locations where those packages would be found, but it's something you can do in a few seconds.
The only files that need to remain in each install are small files like .int files (and I think .ini as well).

In my own installs of the game I have set up an "Addons" directory just for this, thus whenever I want to install a mod or a map, I install in that separate directory, meaning that the main installation is clean.

And I already took the "symbolic link" approach for development, so that a given package directory was simultaneously in my local working directory (from VSCode) and in the UT install itself (so that UCC Make could actually work properly, at least the version that I used).
But I created my symbolic links through the command line, although there's probably a way to do it with a Windows UI.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Yeah, the same multiple installs in one place are not very hard to manage.
Indeed the two specific textures for UT469 were not necessary for launching game, but I'm getting them available depending on which version I'm starting. Two batch files will copy original textures from a spot dedicated for 436 and another for 469 placing them in the same Textures folder which has the rest of files available for all installs before starting required version. I don't have to rename System folder in any way, I'm just using paths declared separately in ini files for each version. Maps, Music, Sounds, textures are common assets used by all versions. System_X folders are not really loaded because it's a waste of space for hosting all sort of bugged things which are not fascinating, I don't collect "mods" and I play other games too that need SPACE as well.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Yeah, I probably could have done all that - but bear in mind I run UT in a wineskin wrapper on a mac. I can only run one 'app' at a time, be it an .exe or a batch file (having to manually change the path to the app in the wrapper if I want to run a different Windows-based app). So what I do works for me which is the most important thing.