DM- Work in progress- With Map download

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
browndl
Skilled

Re: DM- Work in progress- With Map download

Post by browndl »

sektor2111 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:24 pm
browndl wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:18 pm I could not get the paths to connect over the movers. I had assumed the paths would not connect due to the mover.
See image above, these are easy only if map supports a normal "rebuild" - no need Extra Pathing "Tools". Maps that are having brushes removed or bad construction, will need another way and Extra Tools for doing something. When geometry does a normal rebuild result, even lightning can be adjusted/improved later.
I found a map that could have paths over long bridges, but heavy to do. Why heavy ? For some reasons (obvious geometry problem) the rebuild of geometry has screwed up walls integrity. I figured later BSPCuts, miss-aligned vertexes and all that. I quit messing with geometry and doing things another way, but... map was still having issues with walls/surfaces (Original Ones) and so I ended in dropping it away.

Paths over bridges/movers(/SecretFloors) are not very described in tutorials like more other information that can be useful for mapping. These Paths are incredible easy to do like those over boxes and spots where Editor is refusing to work for us.
In order to gain these connections there are a few steps:
- select those Movers/Bridges/SecretFloors;
- Open Context Menu and pick up Movers -> ShowPolys;
- Remove Paths - adjust potential needs - define Paths - using console commands;
- now it's time to rebuild geometry (must BE Rebuild) - ONLY Geometry - and no longer touching paths. Here is the stage which need to ensure a normal rebuild of Geometry + Optimizing BSP (might not be need everywhere) + Lightning.
Sektor2111, You have helped me greatly here. I will definitely revisit the geometry to see if it can be cleaned up. Thanks for the sound advice on dealing with the paths over the trap.
@papercoffee I figured out the area where I had indeed left out some light sources. Thanks for calling it to my attention.
It may be a bit before I am able to release this one. We will see.
All this dialog has been very helpful. I appreciate it very much.
It really is the only reason to release maps.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Perhaps remove the trap? In general, traps only trap Players once but will always trap bots. Depends then on whether Players find that entertaining or not - a trap changes a competitive DM map into something else which not everyone will find entertaining.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:46 pm Perhaps remove the trap? In general, traps only trap Players once but will always trap bots. Depends then on whether Players find that entertaining or not - a trap changes a competitive DM map into something else which not everyone will find entertaining.
I haven't fully explored the trap, but if it's one that doesn't kill you when you fall into it then it might be handy to put a powerful monster down there which can't get out... to kill anyone that doesn't die when they fall in.

Always makes for a nice surprise.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

If you suspect that it can be a trap that doesn't kill, then let me do settings, I don't think that stock "Players" will escape alive from there, no worries...
In other hand, human player can be trapped one or maximum two times until learns about it, later trap gets turned into a mystical trap, nobody will step here multiple times unless is having real mental issues or it's just probing something...

@browndl
If that BSPCut doesn't hurt map and it supports to be rebuild multiple times, then it's not needed other touch just re-ordering a bit things concerning special pathing - using Editor.
Logic is simple. Mover doesn't block anything in Editor or else you won't see paths through doors - and stock maps have paths. Because such a floor doesn't collide it will be like a hole in ground. You need to ensure some polygons as "Floor" support in order to gain paths - "ShowPolys" menu command. But after "Painting Paths", map has to be rebuild - only as geometry without any touch at pathing, if polys are left visible, there can be nasty issues with rendering, this is why geometry must be build again post-pathing but not at once with pathing. If map can be rebuild without special settings that's a good thing. BSPCuts might hurt or they might not be even figured, it's up on map's charge.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

There is a shield-belt on that trap ...I think a lot of people will get trapped there not only bots.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

So, I updated the original post with a new video and download link. I took out the trap. Removed the original tall lift and replaced it with a small one. Reworked some geometry made a new escape path from the highest level. Added some light sources. Other sundry things. @sektor2111, couldn't get rid of the bsp cut, but hopefully it is not causing any real problems. I didn't immediately come upon any.

As always would love to hear what you all think about any portion, but especially if it is fun to play.

Thanks!
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

So, do you all think I should call this one final or what?