Monster hund strange behavior of monsters

Discussions about GameTypes
Mokebe
Novice

Monster hund strange behavior of monsters

Post by Mokebe »

what is the reason that monsters stay in one place and do not attack players, where can I configure it to be.
i gites   
Auto merged new post submitted 53 minutes later
dobra kurde nie wazne juz
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Monster hund strange behavior of monsters

Post by sektor2111 »

This behavior is not "strange", it's their default behavior. A monster is reacting triggered or if Player is closer in direct view - also depending on map's charge. Clearly with a small script map can be turned from "Monster Hund" into a "Player Hund" stage, if map has good navigation paths I don't think that this is what you want... I tested such things...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

It could be the "orders" that you tell the bots.

Change orders to freelance and they will act on their own.

If it's the map level you are playing ,not any settings, the bots will run at a wall if they want something, but the map level isn't made right for them to get through.
Binary Space Partitioning
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

@Red_Fist Re-Read first line from first post - and title.
Either way monster doesn't attack a lot if mapper did some "settings" messing up the monster. Secondary, if monster is not altered in any way, it's not like it suddenly goes to hunt player without any factor. In other hand, custom monsters with code that was not compiled are not even counted and they just stay there in front of player like player is ghost - map Asmodeus whatever... and... you know these very well.   
Auto merged new post submitted 2 hours 14 minutes later
Some "magic" math operated by EPIC... Pawn's Visibility capability.
Original value "BaseEyeHeight" (maybe self-explanatory) is ZERO, calculated during run-time in PreBeginPlay().

Code: Select all

if (!bIsPlayer) 
	{
		if ( BaseEyeHeight == 0 )
			BaseEyeHeight = 0.8 * CollisionHeight;
		EyeHeight = BaseEyeHeight;
		if (Fatness == 0) //vary monster fatness slightly if at default
			Fatness = 120 + Rand(8) + Rand(8);
	}
To me it seems funny... Let's throw this into a random image with a custom Warlord but having original properties...
Funky_Sight.PNG
Let's do the simple math: 78 UU × 0.8 = 46.8 UU. If monster has a 64 UU box in front of it, in this logic it won't see any player because it has eye placed under its d..k's head. Probably the right thing would be "× 1.6" not "× 0.8". In image the eye of this Pawn and generally they have eyes drawn on their heads, which it would match interval 124 - 128 UU which is clearly higher than a d..k with eyes. As you might see, they worked harder to do these flawed maths probably not even understanding collision cylinder vs "collisionheight".
Last edited by sektor2111 on Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:33 am not even understanding collision cylinder vs "collisionheight"
Idk what had riding EPIC developers to use the term "collisionheight" for the half of the height of the collision cylinder. I also run into that trap again and again.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Good question and because to me you are really smart I would ask then a dumb question: How is supposed to deal here a Tentacle ? Where is the eye of this misery ? How about a Pupae, DevilFish, Gasbag and all those... but let's simplify questions into ONE question: Are we really Ready For MonsterHunt ? Me one... I'm not ready... yet. One thing is clear in my lousy math: If this value would not be adjusted, at least Pawn will have the eye corresponding to its location and not LOWER than its actual location... I could see often Heads and Necks of monsters, I could aim them... they were not even blinking when I went closer until I could see around 70% of their body...
Bot is also funny: 23 UU (if memory doesn't cheat me) when its total height is 78 UU. Objective placed at 80 UU it's no longer "Reachable" or it does looping. Good luck, Boys, with your flags lifted from ground... and with that "blahblahsightradius" at 9000 UU and those dummy things.
I spent some time with that "Catastrophic" map... monsters supposed to see 9000 UU but... the eye buried in their Boots... Dream On, boys, keep dreaming...
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well no, the orders messes them up in MH, either, cover me, freelance or hold position only work in MH

in case that was his problem. OR a funky map with bot path problems.

The reason it's half, is because it's "radius" not diameter.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:18 pm The reason it's half, is because it's "radius" not diameter.
Dear, we are talking about Height. :omfg:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Barbie wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:20 pm
Red_Fist wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:18 pm The reason it's half, is because it's "radius" not diameter.
Dear, we are talking about Height. :omfg:
I know, in reality the height is still a sphere (if you use "Radii" view) on actors. :!:

ya gotta read between the lines, EPIC backs me on this,,,lolzzzzzzz
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

@Red_Fist
All right, let's resume problem - Quoting Title "strange behavior of Monsters" and then
Mokebe wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:44 pm what is the reason that monsters stay in one place and do not attack players
The post was about MONSTERS and not about Bot - and monster doesn't receive orders from player. And the next discussions were about monster's "sight capability". When snipers are on a higher ground and their eye is beyond the ledge, clearly Pawn won't see nearby enemies unless something distracts them (noise, damage, etc.).
And Monster - all what it does according to its code is to "wait", this is their best skill - Waiting. Yeah, we can have patrols, guards, sudden alarms Monster can perform basic tasks but this is requiring some mapping skill and majority of said mappers have no clue how these are working.
The rest of "attack players" is also doable - factor #1 is my favorite subject "PATHING" and it's about generic PAWNS not only Bots. Factor #2 means something capable to engage monster in combat. Now use your imagination and go figure that stage where 120 monsters are hunting/chasing 2 players... I think 98% of players won't play that...
For those that were not reading or being subscribed in forum, this stage it's what I tested - FPS went low - I won't upload the same image again, it's already posted.
viewtopic.php?p=96616#p96616
Based on a small actor loaded, Monsters have started to be informed by first Monster noticing Tamerlane about it's presence. They decided to eliminate the threat - almost all of them. All activity went in a constant spawn-killing.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Oh, geez, got those damn "bots" on my brain. :oops: