Noob trying to set up a rented server.

Discussions about Servers
Azonic DS1
Novice
Personal rank: ABSOLUTE NOOB

Noob trying to set up a rented server.

Post by Azonic DS1 »

I play with a small group of friends (school/college friends from 20 years ago) who also enjoy the company of a few randomers joining in the action.

We decided we would like more control over the map and the game-type and also didn't want to keep wasting time looking for a working server that doesn't require password and that doesn't need additional maps, skins etc to be downloaded. We are happy to just play the original game for now.

After reading up on it I decided to rent a server as recommended by most of the online community.
I thought it would be as simple as running a practice game with bots but it looks as though I have to edit an ini file.

I tried playing around with it for days now but am having no joy.
Can someone please help? I should be able to start tweaking by myself after a bit of practice but I need help just getting started.

I want to:
- advertise the server so any old player from the public can see it in-game and join .
- cycle through (randomly if possible) all team death match maps (all maps and all game types if possible) with the max bots each map allows according to original recommendations.

Sorry for being such a noob. I feel embarrassed to even post this.
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Re: Noob trying to set up a rented server.

Post by Que »

Setting up a server from scratch is not really easy these days for UT. There are so many variables involved with ini adjustments and so forth. Master server list updates. Server actors/packages Installation.

Not to mention setting up redirection services on a separate hosting account.
^ this can be bypassed using -lanplay on your startup script.

Other things to Consider is your demographics for the server... What is your ping to the server at current location?

Anything over 80ms would require something like NewNet installed.

Not sure if there's a mod that can do the cycling of gametypes / maps.. as you want ... But there are an abundance of mapvotes available for practically everything.
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
Azonic DS1
Novice

Post by Azonic DS1 »

OK I managed to figure out how to start team deathmatch with bots going through some sort of map cycle. I'm getting 20 - 30 ping.

All I wanna do for now is advertise it to the public within the in-game server lists. Its classic UT, all original game no mods etc
No way is it supposed to be this difficult.

Master server list updates. Server actors/packages Installation.
Not to mention setting up redirection services on a separate hosting account.
^ this can be bypassed using -lanplay on your startup script.
@ QUE: you mentioned this stuff but I unfortunately need a beginners walkthrough.

Can anyone help with this? I've got the basics set up. Just want public human players too if they want to join. At the moment only my friends are joining by location.

I'm happy to tinker with everything else afterwards.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

First link has a LOT of wreck and outdated information... It won't help too much :thudown: .
"DSL" - Anyone ?
"UWeb.WebServer" - Any security, stability ?
"It's a good idea to make a small batch file which restarts the server should it crash:" - Huh !? You mean saving server's log-files - compressing/moving them into an archives warehouse, updating server at a scheduled reboot - BECAUSE UE1 needs this. It is NOT an idea, it's the "How To", after doing additional tasks server will be restarted. Also if we don't need all logs we can use a "Process Manager" capable to unlock server when it gets stuck because of "content" used and original assets.
"Creeping Ping" bug with Win2000" - blah blah - Does anybody uses such host ?
"MaxDownloadSize=100000 will allow mutators and other small packages to be downloaded, but will not allow large files" - What !?

Wake up, it's 2021. Boys and girls, that OldUnreal "server building" story is for years 1999 to 2009... My advice for hosting dudes: Update that Info or DELETE that "server-guide", it doesn't make any sense.

Server story I think it's way too long for a forum post if it will need to start from level 0.

I think Dr. Flay has the language and some writing capabilities for this task if someone will want to participate with adds.

Edit: What community doesn't have it's a tiny little small mutator capable to reboot server after sending whatever command AFTER ENDING current game. Purpose: Forced Activation of certain update without breaking party, but rebooting server after match. A batch-file called will do the task and then server would reboot with changes activated.
Que
Inhuman

Post by Que »

Check that you have named your server in your UnrealTournament.ini under the following section;

Code: Select all

[Engine.GameReplicationInfo]
ServerName=Gibblets.com | ( ( (  PSYCHO-SERVERS  ) ) ) | DeathMatch+
ShortName=Gibblets.com | ( ( (  PSYCHO-SERVERS  ) ) ) | DeathMatch+
AdminName=no0ne
AdminEmail=psychoservers@gmail.com
Region=12
MOTDLine1=Welcome to PsychoServers MultiServer
MOTDLine2=https://discord.gg/ZkfCpMU
MOTDLine3=
MOTDLine4=
Once you have done that do a search in your .ini for the word DoUplink.

Should be in a section like this;

[IpServer.UdpServerUplink]
DoUplink=True
UpdateMinutes=1
MasterServerAddress=
MasterServerPort=27900
Region=0
If this section cannot be found in your .ini then and only then append it to the bottom of your UnrealTournament.ini else ensure that DoUpLink=True.

Next find and make the following changes to the following section;

[Engine.GameEngine]
CacheSizeMegs=999
UseSound=True
ServerActors=IpDrv.UdpBeacon
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerQuery
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=utmaster.epicgames.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master.telefragged.com MasterServerPort=27500
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master.333networks.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master.newbiesplayground.net MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master.errorist.eu MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=UWeb.WebServer
ServerPackages=SoldierSkins
ServerPackages=Botpack
Notice the new MasterServers above? edit this section in your .ini so that it looks like the section above. In particularly the lines with "IpSever" in them.

Next we will use an old redirect server which should be fine for stock UT.

Find the following sections in your UT.ini and make the following changes;

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://uz.ut-files.com/
ProxyServerHost=
ProxyServerPort=3128
UseCompression=True

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=True
MaxDownloadSize=0
DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
Restart your server and see if it's advertising.

Few questions:

1. What platform are you using to host your server? Windows or Linux?

2. Are you going through a Game hosting company or are you using a VPS of some sort.

3. If using a VPS or Dedicated Box , how do you start your server? (Windows start.bat) or (Linux ./ucc.init start)

If you are hosting from home then you will need to learn to port forward.
https://portforward.com/unreal-tournament/
Last edited by Que on Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
Azonic DS1
Novice

Post by Azonic DS1 »

GamingDeluxe Unreal Tournament server, game hosting company.

I think its a Windows Server - Don't know where to look to confirm this.

Sever location is on my invoice as EU United Kingdom. (not in EU anymore)
should I change the region? Where yous is set to 12 mine has default set at 0 by the server.

Thanks Que .
Ill try this stuff and get back to you shortly.

UPDATE

Step 1
Naming the server - Complete

Step 2
DoUplink - Not found in the script so added to the bottom as advised. - Complete

Step 3
[Engine.GameEngine] Again I could not find this section in the script. Should I add it in, at the bottom again ? - Incomplete
I found the term ServerActors=IpServer in a section marked [Core.System]. I was assuming this is something else.

Step 5 A
[IpDrv.HTTPDownload] Complete

Step 5B

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] My ini looks a bit different and I don't have the options download limit. Complete / Incomplete
Again should I add them in? I don't know if that part "download limit" is important.

AllowDownloads=True
ConnectionTimeout=15.0
InitialConnectTimeout=120.0
AckTimeout=1.0
KeepAliveTime=0.2
MaxClientRate=20000
SimLatency=0
RelevantTimeout=5.0
SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
ServerTravelPause=4.0
NetServerMaxTickRate=20
LanServerMaxTickRate=35
DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
Que
Inhuman

Post by Que »

scroll down for more.
Last edited by Que on Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Que wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:59 am Notice the new MasterServers above? edit this section in your .ini so that it looks like the section above. In particularly the lines with "IpSever" in them.
Yeah, you can remove "GameSpy" - at that address there isn't any MasterServer anymore since around 2014...
Que
Inhuman

Post by Que »

Is odd that his .ini file does not have an [Engine.GameEngine] section.
*Join our Discord Here.*
*Our Servers
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Que wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:32 am Is odd that his .ini file does not have an [Engine.GameEngine] section.
Yeah, I thought that. It looks like that heading ([Engine.GameEngine]) isn't there but the various 'entries' are - possibly the heading got deleted. If I remove the heading in my .ini, the game starts up quicker and runs OK except there is no sound.
Que
Inhuman

Post by Que »

ok Azonic DS1 try appending this to the bottom of your UT.ini

[Engine.GameEngine]
CacheSizeMegs=16
UseSound=True
MinClientVersion=432
MD5PostJoinCheck=true
ServerActors=IpDrv.UdpBeacon
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerQuery
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=utmaster.epicgames.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master.telefragged.com MasterServerPort=27500
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master.333networks.com MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master.newbiesplayground.net MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=IpServer.UdpServerUplink MasterServerAddress=master.errorist.eu MasterServerPort=27900
ServerActors=UWeb.WebServer
ServerPackages=SoldierSkins
ServerPackages=CommandoSkins
ServerPackages=FCommandoSkins
ServerPackages=SGirlSkins
ServerPackages=BossSkins
ServerPackages=Botpack
ServerPackages=MultiMesh
ServerPackages=EpicCustomModels
ServerPackages=TCowMeshSkins
ServerPackages=TNaliMeshSkins
ServerPackages=TSkMSkins
Restart and open the Internet Tab in the browser... scroll to the very bottom where your server hopefully should be listed there
*Join our Discord Here.*
*Our Servers
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

If you have root access to your server you can set up a web server on the same host for redirection.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Azonic DS1
Novice

Post by Azonic DS1 »

Hi everyone.

I realized after reading your messages that I somehow accidentally deleted that section [Engine.GameEngine].
So I reinstalled the default ini and started attacking it again from square one.

Barbie, your post is too technical for me I need 'stoopid' level instructions.
sektor2111, I remember GameSpy from like 2003. That thing was great. I'll take it out too.

I'll update everyone shortly.

UPDATE

Wow, it worked. We love playing with internet randoms.
I am so happy today. Thank you, everyone. Especially you Que. You are a star!

Part 1 - getting the server to appear on the in-game list is complete.

Part 2 - who can help me cycle through only our favorite maps?

We always like to start off with a Deck16][ map but then a random map would be good for a second and third game.
I have a command line set up to jump to Deck16][. I just click on that before we play so we are all happy with that to start with.
But the second game is always the same map, we want to switch it up a bit (random) so we don't get bored especially if we don't enjoy the 2nd map so much.

Can I change bots for different maps? For example, large maps have a total of 16 players, small maps have a total of 6 players and medium maps have maybe 12 players.
Or is this getting too tricky?
Last edited by Azonic DS1 on Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Que
Inhuman

Post by Que »

Alright Iam not aware of any mod which does random maps exclusively however I think the next step it for you to setup a MapVote utility.
have a look at our mapvote here;
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13690&hilit=mvx
there is a quickstart guide which should hopefully allow for easy setup.
see if you can get it going.
all settings are in the MapVoteX.ini (which is generated after successful installation of MVX) .
You can disable all other GameTypes except for TeamDeathMatch for your purposes.
it also has Random Map button and it will automatically load a random map at end of each game after timer expires.
there is an empty server switch which allows for it to go back to a start map after a pre-determined time frame.
*Join our Discord Here.*
*Our Servers