[WIP] DM-DarkCastle

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
UnrealWarrior
Average

[WIP] DM-DarkCastle

Post by UnrealWarrior »

This is a Work in Progress map that I've been working on for the last couple of months. There's still a lot to do. No lighting, no bot pathing, just the map that's almost done.

The reason I'm posting this before finshing the map is to get feedback about the map design, feel and what can be done to improve one's mapping skills :)

Screenshots:

PS: I noticed that the zip file is over 40MB, that's because of using multiple texture packs(RT-Gnosis, ForsakenT..etc)

What do you guys think?
Attachments
DM-DarkCastle.zip
(42.83 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
"We have nothing to fear but fear of tigers"

~tiger attack survivor
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: [WIP] DM-DarkCastle

Post by sektor2111 »

Interesting piece... but you forgot to build lightning...
Button/Door Mover4 has no Texture (it has default texture)...

On a different spot from my brain I always had a question why some brushes are done like this. It's a sort of cube with PrePivot or whatever vertex far from main brush. I'm not sure if this is affecting future geometry or not, but I have never done brushes this way. Does it helps at something ? I would like to know if are some benefits.
RandWonder.PNG
Here is random data snippet from said brush:

Code: Select all

Begin Polygon Texture=sHiWal2b Flags=-2147483648 Link=0
             Origin   -00000.000061,+00000.000000,+00000.000484
             Vertex   +00265.308594,-00128.000000,+00033.630859
             Vertex   +00265.312531,+00016.003891,+00033.631165
Last edited by sektor2111 on Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[NBK]DxTrEm3Fx
Adept

Post by [NBK]DxTrEm3Fx »

Looking good so far.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:23 pm Interesting piece... but you forgot to build lightning...

He did say Work In Progress, lighting might usually comes later :)
Looking really nice so far! Gonna test this out later :tu:

EDIT: ALERT ALERT! ChicoRuinsPack.utx sadly has multiple versions of the package (started from DM-LastCrusader]I[ I think) :?
Attachments
ChicoDamnit.jpg
ChicoDamnit.jpg (19.62 KiB) Viewed 397 times
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Yeah... this is why I keep my "Chico" packages as I re-made them... ChicoRuinsPack to me (because my english sucks) sound like Chico has Ruined his Packages... It's not like I will ever use others coming from any archive.

A solution friendly pointed as a hint. Such "Ruins" can happily and relaxed go to "MyLevel" (inside map more exactly) for preventing any future pain. It's what I do in all cases where these "mappers" have ruined their own work over time. This will prevent map from having as dependencies 4+ in 1 versions of similar named files with different content, which will never match and as result they cannot be conformed without ugly side effects...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Yeah, this is the fourth version of that Chico package that I have. Luckily this map runs with the one I am currently using.

Nice, big map - like the layout and design - easy to move around. Very promising in my opinion :tu:

Personally I would try to reduce the variety of textures used (walls, floors, ceilings) - change them only where there is a distinct change in the form and/or function of a particular space (and then look carefully at how the transition from one to another is handled, especially as regards the use of trims). The SkyCIty textures looked particularly out of place to me (especially in a DarkCastle :P).
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

I tried to play it, but I received missing package errors. WOTdetail.
Log: New File, Existing Package (Package MyLevel, Package DM-DarkCastle)
Warning: Failed to load WOTDetail: Can't find file for package WOTDetail..
Warning: Failed to load ForsakenT: Can't find file for package WOTDetail..
Warning: Failed to load D:\Unreal Anthology\UnrealTournament\Maps\DM-DarkCastle.unr: Can't find file for package WOTDetail..
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file for package WOTDetail..
Warning: Failed loading package: Can't find file for package WOTDetail..
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

That's odd - the map doesn't use anything from WOTDetail.utx nor do any of the textures packages used in the map have a texture named that.

Did you use the ForsakenT.utx that came in the map download? If not, move the one you already have off the UT path and use the file from the download and then try the map.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:30 pm That's odd - the map doesn't use anything from WOTDetail.utx nor do any of the textures packages used in the map have a texture named that.

Did you use the ForsakenT.utx that came in the map download? If not, move the one you already have off the UT path and use the file from the download and then try the map.
Still did not load, same error.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Try the same thing with the ChicoRuinsPack.utx.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:48 pm Try the same thing with the ChicoRuinsPack.utx.
I have used all of the textures and it still does not work. I can't figure it out.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

ForsakenT.utx does not have a "SurfaceFloor" in it.

On a side note... I already had a Forsaken_T.utx & a ForsakenT2.utx, but neither of those has a "SurfaceFloor" either.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:13 am ForsakenT.utx does not have a "SurfaceFloor" in it.
The ForsakenT.utx in the download does indeed have the Group "Surface Floor" - so move your ForsakenT.utx from your /Textures folder to a location off the UT path and put the ForsakenT.utx from the map download zip in your Textures folder and the map should run OK.

I have 3 versions of ForsakenT - haven't checked them all to see if they have that group. Luckily the version I am currently using works fine with this map.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

doesn't we all love a nice batch of files with the same name and marginal changed content inside... Why was MyLevel-ing so under used by those mappers at that time?
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

papercoffee wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:37 am Why was MyLevel-ing so under used by those mappers at that time?
Probably because it was actively discouraged.