Epic has ended Master Server Support for all Unreal Tournament Titles - How to play Online

Discussions about everything else
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Re: Epic has turned off Master Servers and Support for UT99, UT2k4 & UT3 - What To Do?

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I have no words. This just keeps going better and better. The franchise is dead for sure until someone buys the Unreal license from Epic and revitalizes the stuff. And to make sure the engine and game is different. Hell why doesn't Epic rename the Unreal Engine to Epic Engine so that people won't confuse the games for the engine? I mean...this is just ridiculous. Who the hell remembers the games now when everyone says "Unreal 3 4 5" in relation to the engine?
darksonny
Adept

Re: Epic has turned off Master Servers and Support for UT99, UT2k4 & UT3 - What To Do?

Post by darksonny »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:25 pm I have no words. This just keeps going better and better. The franchise is dead for sure until someone buys the Unreal license from Epic and revitalizes the stuff. And to make sure the engine and game is different. Hell why doesn't Epic rename the Unreal Engine to Epic Engine so that people won't confuse the games for the engine? I mean...this is just ridiculous. Who the hell remembers the games now when everyone says "Unreal 3 4 5" in relation to the engine?
tencent+tim+money+fucknite=money-grubbers
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

Re: Epic has turned off their Master Servers for UT99 - Here is how to switch to Community Master Servers!

Post by darkbarrage99 »

darkbarrage99 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:28 pm
  • EDIT Feb 5th, 2024:
    I'm a little late for this, but since there is still no news from Epic about UT3X, I found a working and safe Openspy patch for UT3.

-Download here: https://ut3-ultimate.com/ The easiest and cleanest way to install the patch is to use the first option, which is to download the UT3.EXE on its own.
    -Simply open your "Unreal Tournament 3/Binaries" folder, make a backup of your default UT3.EXE, then drag and drop this modified UT3.EXE into the folder to replace it.
    -You will then need to create a new account when you log in, which will register your login with Openspy.
    -Voila, you are connected to the New Master Server.

Fun Fact discovered by UT3 Aficionado and regular Youtube Uploader DickBird(lol), as of a year ago it was still possible to directly join Epic's US UT3 servers via IP address despite Epic shutting down the master servers. I'll be checking it out for myself to see if it's still the case and report back when I can.

Check out his video here:

I went ahead and added some info and a download link to the original post about connecting UT3 to the new Openspy master server.

I Also found an interesting video showing that it was still possible to connect to Official Epic UT3 servers last year despite the master server being destroyed.
I'm not sure if it's still possible. I might see about it later. If it is still possible now in 2024, then wtf lol. :ironic: :noidea
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Re: Epic has turned off Master Servers and Support for UT99, UT2k4, UT3, UT4 - Here is what to do

Post by Shade »

@darkbarrage99 As you completely reorganized your first post, including mostly information about other UT versions but UT99, I decided for the following:

- The title was missleading after all. So I changed the title.
- As the first post is now mostly Off-Topic, the thread was moved to the Off-Topic category.

Please, in the interest of the community, refrain from heavily altering the first post of popular threads (especially in Announcements) and therefore changing the topic.
This thread was in the Accouncement category and was originally used to be a place to discuss how the UT99 community is dealing with that matter, including giving new / returning players quick information about how to solve that problem on their end.
This first post is just chaotic now. I suggest to start separate threads in the future in the appropriate categories.
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

Re: Epic has ended Master Server Support for all Unreal Tournament Titles - How to play Online

Post by darkbarrage99 »

That's fair, it's old news at this point and I wrote most of it months ago when we were all still in our feelings. And I apologize, I meant to condense the title down to "UT99 etc" but I must have forgot. I wasn't trying to be misleading, but I was being a scatterbrained moron while editing.

You are absolutely right about the original post being chaotic, so I rewrote and reorganized it. Since we're all past our collective anger at Epic and there are now solutions for all online support, I condensed everything into just those multiplayer solutions and removed all the fluff.

I think it's a good idea to have a list of solutions for all the UT games in one place since there doesn't seem to be one anywhere else, and it helps to have something to throw at confused redditors since the ut subreddit lacks moderation. Ultimately this should be the final edit unless something new comes about involving UT3X, which will most likely never happen. Again, I apologize for being a ninny. :facepalm:
Shade
Site Admin
Personal rank: Founder of UT99.org

Re: Epic has ended Master Server Support for all Unreal Tournament Titles - How to play Online

Post by Shade »

Thank you for reorganizing the first post. I made this thread sticky in Off-Topic. :tu:
If someone has a better idea where the information of the first post should be located, let me know.
UT99.org Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6CP2UjZ
UT Server Browser: https://ut99.org/servers