2024 UT questions

Discussions about UT99
chrisssj2
Novice

2024 UT questions

Post by chrisssj2 »

I just installed this patch after not playing for like 20 years. didnt knew UT was still around and found this place.
I got 57 inch Neo G9 monitor.
The crosshair looks to be non existent, can you change it's size?

Also the chat in the upperleft is supersmall and the text typed almost instantly is wiped/dissappears. any way to make what people say lasts better/longer? also the npc has killed etc. is kinda making visibility of what people type hard
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

Re: 2024 UT questions

Post by darkbarrage99 »

chrisssj2 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:58 pm I just installed this patch after not playing for like 20 years. didnt knew UT was still around and found this place.
I got 57 inch Neo G9 monitor.
The crosshair looks to be non existent, can you change it's size?

Also the chat in the upperleft is supersmall and the text typed almost instantly is wiped/dissappears. any way to make what people say lasts better/longer? also the npc has killed etc. is kinda making visibility of what people type hard
You should be able to change Crosshair and HUD scale in the options menu with the 469 community patch: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14127

what resolution are you playing at?
chrisssj2
Novice

Post by chrisssj2 »

the crosshair scale doesnt seem to do anything.
7680x2160p
bearbeardut99
Novice

is there a switch?

Post by bearbeardut99 »

is there a switch to turn off the self-movement when you take damage ?
asking for a friend .-.
BearBeard#5925
Fun Sphere https://discord.gg/BPsdjcAZ7V
unreal://45.225.92.93:7787 FragNewNet
unreal://45.225.92.93:7797 FragNewNet

SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Re: is there a switch?

Post by SilverSound »

bearbeardut99 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:06 pm is there a switch to turn off the self-movement when you take damage ?
asking for a friend .-.
You mean momentum? no? It's a built in system.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

SilverSound wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:29 pm
bearbeardut99 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:06 pm is there a switch to turn off the self-movement when you take damage ?
asking for a friend .-.
But Momentum can be changed by code. See TakeDamage(), declared in class'Actor':

Code: Select all

event TakeDamage( int Damage, Pawn EventInstigator, vector HitLocation, vector Momentum, name DamageType);
and for example in class'Pawn'.TakeDamage() the momentum is added to Pawn's current velocity by AddVelocity(momentum).

For example a DamageMutator can change the Momentum.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

chrisssj2 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:00 pm the crosshair scale doesnt seem to do anything.
7680x2160p
Have you installed the newest patch?
chrisssj2
Novice

Post by chrisssj2 »

Yes
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

Barbie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:07 am
SilverSound wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:29 pm
asking for a friend .-.
But Momentum can be changed by code. See TakeDamage(), declared in class'Actor':

event TakeDamage( int Damage, Pawn EventInstigator, vector HitLocation, vector Momentum, name DamageType);
and for example in class'Pawn'.TakeDamage() the momentum is added to Pawn's current velocity by AddVelocity(momentum).

For example a DamageMutator can change the Momentum.
You know I didn't actually think this was really possible. I'm not sure this will handle all cases of momentum transfer. Like Cybots I think implements it's own version of momentum transfer but if it uses the same methods as vanilla in the end then maybe it's easily fixed with a mutator.

I also just assumed this person wanted to know if they could just change this behavior in the default settings of the game.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

According to the readme, the mutator Damage (Damage.u) from Jeff McClain has a slider control for momentum - I vaguely remember using it a long time ago and the momentum control certainly worked, bouncing bots/monsters all over the map when hit should the control be set too high.
darkbarrage99
Skilled

Post by darkbarrage99 »

chrisssj2 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:00 pm the crosshair scale doesnt seem to do anything.
try disabling crosshair automatic scaling if it's on. when i enable it, the size of my crosshair locks to one size. you may also benefit from installing some custom crosshairs.
crosshair.jpg
crosshair.jpg (21.93 KiB) Viewed 364 times
chrisssj2 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:00 pm 7680x2160p
You're playing 4k double wide? that's kinda wild man, try to see what happens if you play at regular 4k windowed.

another thing, you might want to go into your display settings and make sure your framerate is set to your monitor's refresh rate at most.
When unreal engine 1 or 2 is operating at too high an fps, things can start to malfunction, such as how fast the game itself is running. manually setting a stable number can fix a lot of things.
chrisssj2
Novice

Post by chrisssj2 »

darkbarrage99 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:44 pm
try disabling crosshair automatic scaling if it's on. when i enable it, the size of my crosshair locks to one size. you may also benefit from installing some custom crosshairs.
crosshair.jpg
You're playing 4k double wide? that's kinda wild man, try to see what happens if you play at regular 4k windowed.

another thing, you might want to go into your display settings and make sure your framerate is set to your monitor's refresh rate at most.
When unreal engine 1 or 2 is operating at too high an fps, things can start to malfunction, such as how fast the game itself is running. manually setting a stable number can fix a lot of things.
Makes it a little bigger but not help that much really... needs like 5x the size of it..
Also the text in chatbox dissappears way too fast cant see what anyone types
darkbarrage99
Skilled

Post by darkbarrage99 »

chrisssj2 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:27 pm
darkbarrage99 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:44 pm
crosshair.jpg

Makes it a little bigger but not help that much really... needs like 5x the size of it..
Also the text in chatbox dissappears way too fast cant see what anyone types
perhaps trying out some custom crosshairs might help. try berserker's crosshair pack here viewtopic.php?t=16211

also, the console command for setting crosshair size is this:

set Botpack.ChallengeHUD crosshairscale X 
try some different numerical values for X. you should be able to override what can be done in the options menu.

as for the chat, idk what to do about how quickly messages go away. they typically don't stick around long, but you can always go into the console by pressing ` (tilde) to view past messages.