CTF-db99-MalevolenceV2 / Brightskins WIP

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

CTF-db99-MalevolenceV2 / Brightskins WIP

Post by darkbarrage99 »

Hey everyone!

I've been making CTF conversions of Stock DM maps for a while now as a way to learn how to use the editor.
There may be a few more to come in the future.

Bot Pathing still needs a little bit of love (rooftop, side areas), but with how well this one has come together so quickly, I decided to share it with you all.

You will also notice that I put my own spin on the Pickup skins. These "BrightSkins" are MyLevel-ed and simply added over the pickups via MultiSkins.
This is still a work in progress, and I may make a higher definition version in the future.

Enjoy! :rock: Please feel free to provide feedback if there are any errors or missing packages.

Code: Select all

===========================================================
MAP:

Malevolence CTF - CTF-db99-Malevolence - Version 2

This is a Mirrored CTF conversion of the original Map DM-Malevolence by Rich 'Akuma' Eastwood for Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition. 

Additional rooftop area and Custom Textures added by DarkBarrage99

Custom Inventory and Weapon Base skins edited by DarkBarrage99 from stock UT content.  

Bots work, but pathing is still a work in progress.  
Additional pathing added since previous version.  
Additional lighting, geometry and decorations added since previous version.  

INSTALLATION: 

Simply place the .unr file into the maps folder and it should be good to go.  
Bonus Pack 1 or GOTY Edition content may be required.  

BRIGHTSKINS:

I was inspired by the Quake 4 Promod Q4MAX to create similar color coded skins for the UT inventory with higher visability.  
These skins are included with the map, as well as color coded weapon bases.  
Skins are based off of stock UT content. 
Color coding based on assigned stock properties found in (weapon actor) > Properties > Weapon > Name Color
This content is still a work in progress.  

Disclaimer: 

User may not use this level in commercial exploitation
for any type of profit.

User may distribute this level to anyone he/she wishes,
as long as user does not charge any type of fee for the
distribution of this level, and also said user MUST attach this
txt file with level.
20221226182624_1.jpg
20221226182603_1.jpg
20221226182447_1.jpg
20221226182431_1.jpg
20221226182419_1.jpg
20221226182324_1.jpg
20221226182309_1.jpg
20221226182220_1.jpg
20221226182336_1.jpg
DOWNLOAD:
Attachments
CTF-db99-Malevolencev2.rar
(2.79 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
Last edited by darkbarrage99 on Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: CTF-db99-Malevolence / Brightskins WIP

Post by sektor2111 »

WarheadAmmo-s are not using any mesh for being visible and are not having any connected route (the same no way to HealthVials).
darkbarrage99
Skilled

Post by darkbarrage99 »

sektor2111 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:25 am WarheadAmmo-s are not using any mesh for being visible and are not having any connected route (the same no way to HealthVials).
Thanks for the feedback!

I honestly just included the WarheadAmmo as an excuse to include the ammo skin, which is why I haven't included paths to them yet. Thats odd about the meshes though, They should be visible. I'll look at them when I have a chance.
20221227041042_1.jpg
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

A MESH declared "None" is never visible. What exactly would be supposed to be seen ? Also I don't get what's the problem with pathing in that plain simple area.
CTF_MV1.PNG
To me this work looks good, even interesting. After some CleanUp-s it can be a good piece for gaming repositories.

I recommend some other Blue like type for the ammo placed on Blue side.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

sektor2111 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:01 pm A MESH declared "None" is never visible. What exactly would be supposed to be seen ?
The map has 2 Botpack.Warheadammo as far as I can see - both have the mesh Botpack.missile and both show up in game - in 469c.

Oddly in 436 they have no mesh in the Editor. Why should that be?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:14 pm Oddly in 436 they have no mesh in the Editor. Why should that be?
That's because 469 has other "default properties", and then because these are using defaults, original UT will use default too = Nothing more exactly.
Good to know about this change... This is giving me another reason to save a polished/finished map from 436 not from 469.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The Warheadammo does show up correctly in-game in 436 - so something to do with 436 Editor more than anything else?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Let me see the code for this actor and to double check assets, actually I did not see any mesh over there... All the rest was normal.

Edit: Default Property for this items has NO MESH. If Editor doesn't show anything is exactly original format. If 469 has something dealing with this somewhere or is another code elsewhere, that's another story. I go to check a game session in both versions.
Edit2: Yeah, in game looks visible with the mesh from projectile, and then... this is good.

Now I have too look at AlternatePaths from TOP - I don't see more activity over there...
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

In 436 Botpack, the Warhead ammo is not assigned a mesh in the default properties though the mesh Botpack.missile is there, part of Botpack.

In 469 Botpack, the Warhead ammo is assigned a mesh, the Botpack.missile mesh. So there is, in effect, an error in Botpack 436 in the default properties of the WarheadAmmo in not assigning a mesh.
darkbarrage99
Skilled

Post by darkbarrage99 »

sektor2111 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:01 pm A MESH declared "None" is never visible. What exactly would be supposed to be seen ? Also I don't get what's the problem with pathing in that plain simple area.
To me this work looks good, even interesting. After some CleanUp-s it can be a good piece for gaming repositories.

I recommend some other Blue like type for the ammo placed on Blue side.
the problem with pathing is sheer laziness :wink: but I don't think I'll be keeping those pickups in the next version, as having a redeemer and 2 ammo pickups is a bit overkill.
I appreciate the compliments!

The Blue color ammo is for the sniper rifle, which is also blue.

the approximate color coding is like this:

1 Chainsaw / White
1 Translocator / White
1 Impact Hammer / Light Orange
2 Enforcer / White with a hint of Blue
3 Bio Rifle / Dark Green
4 Shock Rifle / Lilac
4 Super Shock Rifle / Medium Orange
5 Pulsegun / Light Green
6 Ripper / Turquoise
7 Minigun / Yellow
8Flak Cannon / Dark Orange
9 Rocket Launcher / Red
0 Sniper Rifle / Blue
0 Redeemer / Pink

Health Pickups / Blue & White
Thigh Pads / Green
Body Armor / Yellow
Shield Belt / Red

OjitroC wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:36 pm In 436 Botpack, the Warhead ammo is not assigned a mesh in the default properties though the mesh Botpack.missile is there, part of Botpack.

In 469 Botpack, the Warhead ammo is assigned a mesh, the Botpack.missile mesh. So there is, in effect, an error in Botpack 436 in the default properties of the WarheadAmmo in not assigning a mesh.
That explains it. I'm using 469c and the warheadammo mesh does show up in the editor, but not in game. I ended up adding the mesh manually in the Inventory > PickupViewMesh section of each pickup and it's working in game for me.
darkbarrage99
Skilled

Re: CTF-db99-MalevolenceV2 / Brightskins WIP

Post by darkbarrage99 »

Hey Everybody! I've been picking at this map for the past year and decided to upload the current version as I may not be adding much more to the map.
I added in a bit more lighting, geometry, decorative and pathing tweaks to the map. :mrgreen:
I also removed the warhead ammo.
Might add new screenshots later.

Enjoy!

Download at top of thread: viewtopic.php?t=15612