THIS MAP IS FOR UT2004
Shot001.jpg
Shot002.jpg
Shot003.jpg
Link:
DM-TitanOutpostV1.1.zip
(8.74 MiB) Downloaded 11 times
STORY:

Life on other planets in the solar system has become nothing but a myth at this point, many of them shows us a glimpse of hope that maybe life can be found, one of these glimpses is in the moon Titan. Titan is one of the many moons found in Saturn's orbit. It's one of the biggest moons in the solar system, bigger than our Moon and even Mercury. Titan has been a subject of big interest since the discoveries made by mankind, some people even believe that it might contain life because of its characteristics. Now in the future many outpost have been made trough the solar system and Titan is no different, however this outpost has become obsolete, the technology of today demands a complete reconstruction of the outpost. Liandri however had other plans for this place and acquired it in strange circumstances. Now the old outpost has become an arena for the Grand Tournament, how ironic that once an outpost that was constructed to search for life has become a fortification of mayhem and death...

PERSONAL NOTES:

This is my first UT2004 map, learning to use UE2's editor was quite the challenge, however almost everything that works in UE1 works in this one, and that includes brushes. This map was made completely using brushes, since I'm not the biggest fan of Static Meshes because of collision issues. This map has 100% bot support so don't underestimate them.

The rooftop has a secret, to reach it you need the translocator...

CHANGELOG 1.1

-Removed two mutators so the map can be played without them.
Last edited by Aspide on Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Somewhere in Nevada...
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Re: DM-TitanOutpost

Post by fudgonaut »

Aspide wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:47 amthis level also includes two mutators PickupsEnhancer and Ripjack
Can the map be played without the mutators?
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

fudgonaut wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:46 pm Can the map be played without the mutators?
Unfortunately no, I really dislike the adrenaline system of UT2003/4 so I used the PickupsEnhance stuff in the level to replace it. Also love the Ripjack so I also added it in. And the jump boots are a big part of the map so that's another reason why the mutators have to be installed. Every map that I'm going to make for UT2004 will have these two packages as requirements.
Somewhere in Nevada...
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

Post by darkbarrage99 »

Aspide wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:51 pm
fudgonaut wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:46 pm Can the map be played without the mutators?
Unfortunately no, I really dislike the adrenaline system of UT2003/4 so I used the PickupsEnhance stuff in the level to replace it. Also love the Ripjack so I also added it in. And the jump boots are a big part of the map so that's another reason why the mutators have to be installed. Every map that I'm going to make for UT2004 will have these two packages as requirements.
hey not sure if you're aware of this, but it's kind of a general unspoken rule with things like ut99 map remakes in ut2k4 that the stock ut grenade launcher and ammo should be placed in a map that would normally have the ripper and ammo as a means of making vanilla play possible. that way players can use a mutator like WoRM to replace the grenade launcher with whatever version of the ripper/ripjack you're using. unless you can mylevel your custom pickups you might want to consider thinking of alternatives. not telling you what to do, but you may have players avoid playing your maps because of package issues.   
Auto merged new post submitted 11 minutes later
oops.jpg
...speak of the devil and he may appear.

the map did not appear in the map list and so i had to use ued to see why. I installed the mods that came packaged with the map. the enhanced pickups mutator is also not working in stock maps; adrenaline is still enabled with mutator selected.
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

Oh man I didn't expected that, don't worry I'm going to fix that problem right away, as you can see I missed a package....   
Auto merged new post submitted 13 minutes later
Problem fixed, the PickupsEnhancerMutator stuff was changed. thanks darkbarrage99
Somewhere in Nevada...
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

I think darkbarrage99 is right, the map should not have the mutators as requirements, I will modify the map to remove the mutator stuff to make the map as vanilla as possible.   
Auto merged new post submitted 6 hours 13 minutes later
Now the map doesn't have any special requirements, thanks darkbarrage99 :tu:
Somewhere in Nevada...
darkbarrage99
Skilled

Post by darkbarrage99 »

No prob man! So far so good although I feel the map could use some more detail and maybe places for cover in the large open areas due to UT2004's kinda slower and floatier gameplay.

I'm checking out the map and i noticed you added the Mine Layer into the map? The thing about the ONS weapons in DM is that the Mine Layer is a bit too powerful, and the AVRiL is essentially useless. If you look at stock map DM-HyperBlast2, you'll see that as a remake of a UT99 map, the Grenade Launcher is what replaces The Ripper with all intents and purposes. This kind of standardized things with other UT99 remakes and ports. Generally, The Grenade Launcher is the best choice for subbing out The Ripper since it's got a bit more balance to it than the other ONS weapons for vanilla DM gameplay, and it can be easily swapped out with a mod. Again, not telling you what to do, but it would make the map a little more balanced for vanilla gameplay.

You should also consider placing some Adrenaline Pickups as well. I'm not much of a fan of The Adrenaline System myself, but without Adrenaline Pickups for vanilla gameplay, a winning player or team is going to be rewarded with Powerups since their only source of Adrenaline Points is through Frags. Maps need Adrenaline Pickups for vanilla balance, and Adrenaline can be disabled with a Mutator.

Lastly, as for your Custom Pickups, I imagine there's probably a way to MyLevel them into the map like you can in UT99, and if you can figure it out, I definitely encourage you to try; lord knows UT2004 has a very bland pickup system that could use a facelift. If you need a reference, I know the guy that did The UTClassic Maps Conversion Pack was able to whip up placeable Invisibility and Jumpboots Pickups for some of those maps. Here's a pic from his DM-Turbine port:
Shot00001.jpg
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Wow! Great looking map as always Aspide.

Good play action. Love the skybox. Will you be converting this to a UT99 version as well?

Thanks.
Aspide
Skilled

Post by Aspide »

Thanks everyone for your comments, I will take them into consideration when I make my next UT2004 map. This map should be easy to port to UT99 except that the textures would have to be changed, I'm going to make another UT2004 map in the future and it's going to be a different gametype.
Somewhere in Nevada...
darkbarrage99
Skilled

Post by darkbarrage99 »

Aspide wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:36 pm Thanks everyone for your comments, I will take them into consideration when I make my next UT2004 map. This map should be easy to port to UT99 except that the textures would have to be changed, I'm going to make another UT2004 map in the future and it's going to be a different gametype.
don't be afraid to use static meshes! sometimes you gotta just create invisible volumes in the rough shape of the meshes you're using because the collision of the meshes can be terrible but it's not that bad. it seems way more complicated than it actually is.