Why replacing Unreal 1 weapons with OldSkool ones in MH?

Need some nice Mods? Here, you are right!
Barbie
Godlike

Why replacing Unreal 1 weapons with OldSkool ones in MH?

Post by Barbie »

In the game type MonsterHunt the old Unreal 1 weapons are replaced by "OL..." ones; according to the comment the code they originate from package "OldSkool".
Is there any reason why these weapons are replaced?

Code: Select all

function bool CheckReplacement(Actor Other, out byte bSuperRelevant) {
	…
	if ( Other.IsA('Stinger'))
	{
		ReplaceWith(Other, "MonsterHunt.OLStinger");
		return false;
	}
	…
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Why replacing Unreal 1 weapons with OldSkool ones in MH?

Post by Hellkeeper »

Unreal 1 weapons are ergonomically designed to fight against monsters in the wilderness and they are generally lighter and easier to store away on long treks, as was the case in Unreal. OldSkool weapons benefit from advances made in the UT age, use different materials and new formulations for their ammunition and are generally better suited to MonsterHunter while not being as impractical as UT weapons which were designed to "show off" on television, holovision and 5D cinema during arena combat.

No thanks needed.

Also I have no idea.
You must construct additional pylons.
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

It's a long time ago, but I think the OldSkool weapons had some implementation enhancements over the Unreal versions. They are TournamentWeapon, so the pickup messaging and things are better rather than using console/chat messages, and I think they also introduced decals which the U1 weapons didn't have at the time. But mostly just being a TournamentWeapon helps with some stuff as I recall.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

Post by darkbarrage99 »

Hellkeeper wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:13 am Unreal 1 weapons are ergonomically designed to fight against monsters in the wilderness and they are generally lighter and easier to store away on long treks, as was the case in Unreal.
TELL THAT TO MISTER EIGHTBALL 8)
Shrimp wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:34 pm It's a long time ago, but I think the OldSkool weapons had some implementation enhancements over the Unreal versions. They are TournamentWeapon, so the pickup messaging and things are better rather than using console/chat messages, and I think they also introduced decals which the U1 weapons didn't have at the time. But mostly just being a TournamentWeapon helps with some stuff as I recall.
Ultimately this is it. being subclassed as tournamentweapon makes them all more easily integrated into UT without interfering with game modes or additional mutators. the real silly thing is how epic essentially added code in later builds of UT to disable the U1 pickups, which it made the game run a lot less efficiently. if you would like to disable this "feature" check out "Loathsome's UT Tweak" and "Loathesom's Weapon Tweak" mutators. they'll essentially allow you to use default u1 pickups in maps alongside UT assets.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Barbie wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:14 am Is there any reason why these weapons are replaced?
Because those weapons were not really firing normally ON-LINE and they only spread errors. Already described the problem years ago. :sleep:
viewtopic.php?p=87447#p87447