Mapper's (nightmare) dreams

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Barbie
Godlike

Mapper's (nightmare) dreams

Post by Barbie »

Found this:

Code: Select all

Begin Map
Begin Actor Class=SkaarjWarrior Name=SkaarjWarrior88
     LungeDamage=60
     SpinDamage=70
     ClawDamage=50
     TimeBetweenAttacks=0.000001
     RefireRate=0.000001
     RangedProjectile=Class'olweapons.OLTazerProj'
     FootRegion=(Zone=LevelInfo'MyLevel.LevelInfo0',iLeaf=2085,ZoneNumber=3)
     HeadRegion=(Zone=LevelInfo'MyLevel.LevelInfo0',iLeaf=2085,ZoneNumber=3)
     GroundSpeed=3000.000000
     AirSpeed=9999999827968.000000
     AccelRate=100000000376832.000000
     JumpZ=99999.000000
     AirControl=9999999827968.000000
     Health=2000
     MenuName="Ultimate Super Skaarj"
     NameArticle=" The "
     bDynamicLight=True
     Level=LevelInfo'MyLevel.LevelInfo0'
     Tag="SkaarjWarrior"
     Base=LevelInfo'MyLevel.LevelInfo0'
     Region=(Zone=LevelInfo'MyLevel.LevelInfo0',iLeaf=2085,ZoneNumber=3)
     Location=(X=-4550.000000,Y=-1168.000000,Z=-1918.000000)
     OldLocation=(X=-4512.000000,Y=-1344.000000,Z=-1918.000000)
     bSelected=True
     DrawScale=2.000000
     Name="SkaarjWarrior88"
End Actor
End Map
(In map "MH-TrifeaOutpostMore" the mapper has used absurd astronomic values for some properties - like you go into a bar and order 9999999827968 milk shakes.)
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: Mapper's (nightmare) dreams

Post by OjitroC »

Hilarious that - 'nothing exceeds like excess' - except of course some of those values are likely to have an effect opposite to what was intended (that is, excess). It demonstrates a lack of understanding of certain obvious things - like having a very low RefireRate - surely if one wants to have a very high likelihood of multiple shots in an attack one sets the rate to a high positive figure and not a low one.

It reminds me of a map from a well-known MH mapper (well-known for producing, what can I say, 'bugged' MH maps) in which the peripheral vision of brutes was set to a high positive figure with the result that one could walk right up to them and they (obviously) did not react as they could not see. Same with people not understanding the meaning of 'threshold' and setting the hearingthreshold property to a high figure.
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

I tried to play around with the idea of a fast small pawn running around to be annoying (and as a bonus to kill) but ran into so many issues of the pawn just over shooting the target destination and acceleration being way too unstable. Never really crashed but the sight of a stuck pawn was common. That was me using big numbers not not THAT big!

There's no way this monster behaves like you think right? Can you post a video of this super skaarj in action? lol
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

SilverSound wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:33 am Can you post a video of this super skaarj in action? lol
Ofc the behaviour of the Skaarj depends on interaction with players and may vary each time: I saw the Skaarj hovering close to the ceiling (because of high AirControl value?), when been shot coming down and he seemed teleporting from one corner to another (because of high AccelRate value).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Let me know some simple math... because I cannot understand what boys are not understanding.
On-Line map "hosting"... calculate me please tick interval of server + replication speed in this case reported at that fire-rate...
Does it fire often than a tick ? We can happily expect an Uber UT patch capable to solve "ultimate" mental issues of mappers, or an enhanced Editor capable to restore dumb settings back to normal when such thing is being saved. At least some mod which I wrote years ago was always restoring some values of a monster back to normal if things were screwed up, clearly I did not manage to figure everything in that time but... whatever is new will be reverted back using Editor: Monster settings, trash paths, spam data, network abominations, etc.
And yes, (to that mapper previously posting some UNR file in forum), a map it's always subject for a "surgery" (initial pre-check) before adding it blindly On-Line just for the sake of increasing map's counter in MapVote for an "awesome" server, and later hunting bugs and corruptions.
Such an Uber Skaarj can clearly be a bad a$$ with more normal values, a monster can be assisted by an owned actor increasing its intelligence a bit and fight capabilities without abominations.
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

Post by darkbarrage99 »

Barbie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:49 pm like you go into a bar and order 9999999827968 milk shakes.)
sektor2111 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:44 am Let me know some simple math... because I cannot understand what boys are not understanding.
:agree1: I know what the boys are understanding :agree1:

Kelis_-_Milkshakecows.jpg
Kelis_-_Milkshakecows.jpg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 139 times
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Video is off-topic, I can see it disregarding zone restrictions (forum spam ?) - yeah I'm in zone number ZERO, exactly where the video is located - lol.
For those unable to see what's up... Tiny data goes bellow...
Kelis_Milkshake.7z
(8.38 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
:tu: