Epic has ended Master Server Support for all Unreal Tournament Titles - How to play Online

Discussions about everything else
Buggie
Godlike

Re: Epic is turning off Master servers for UT99 & UT2k4; UTX Announced - What To Do?

Post by Buggie »

Letylove49 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:49 pm why they have no dot that at midnight ?
Maybe they do it on some TimeZone midnight. But more likely this do some worker from work hours.
Stop servers and erase dns data.
Auto merged new post submitted 2 minutes later

Que wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:53 pm for XBrowser theres a menu where you manually input MasterServers.
There only one "small" problem - XBrowser always use only one master server. In best case it use next master server if previous failed.
Never all at once.

So For XBrowser you need choose one. And for avoid delay put it first. 333networks looks as best choice for now.
Auto merged new post submitted 5 minutes later

Diego_HoF wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:56 pm But how we get new players to join if no one can buy it anymore...
Legally - no way.

Semi-legally:
1. Install utdemo338.exe
2. Apply patch UTPatch436nodelta.exe
3. Apply latest community patch (v469c for now)
This be almost full game. Can be used for network play, where missed content will be downloaded from servers.

Illegally - such new players can find ready for use full game some where. In Internet a lot places of such.
Que
Inhuman
Personal rank: ...

Re: Epic is turning off Master servers for UT99 & UT2k4; UTX Announced - What To Do?

Post by Que »

Wonder if the "Abandonware" chaps will upload it to their sites.
*Join our Discord Here.*
Our mods - MVX , SSB , SmartWFL , UTCmds , BotCommands , Smart Stats , join/leave announcer , NoSmoke , UTLogin , BrightSkins , Server Tran…
*Our Servers
Letylove49
Adept

Post by Letylove49 »

i think you can get ut on amazone for exemple.

Letylove49 aka Alicia
Diego_HoF
Experienced
Personal rank: HoF Admin

Post by Diego_HoF »

Que wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:46 am Wonder if the "Abandonware" chaps will upload it to their sites.
The Internet Archive already have the UT99 games there (iso version) but it is something.
Letylove49 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:00 pm i think you can get ut on amazone for exemple.
Yeah, that is another legal way, but with the difference that Epic doesn´t get money for it, it is Amazon and the seller.
rdy2bz
Novice

Post by rdy2bz »

There is quite a number of community master servers which I absolutely love.

I wonder: did any of those projects actually release their master server as open source or any other way? So I can try and host a master server myself. Where is the best point to start, who is to be asked?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

https://333networks.com/
The 333networks masterserver is an open-source initiative to provide support for games that lost their online multiplayer after GameSpy shut down. On this website you can find out how we got multiplayer support back.
rdy2bz
Novice

Post by rdy2bz »

Thank you, I found the repo here :tu:
https://code.333networks.com/333networks
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

http://beta.openspy.net/en/
OpenSpy is an open source GameSpy clone, which aims to provide 100% compatibility with GameSpy games.
Another one.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

TankBeef wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:40 pm Also...those insisting on open source...check out Xonotic...and see how "great" they are doing... :noidea

(Saying this as the other game I like...)
What's wrong with Xonotic? It's doing fine, especially for a game that doesn't have a corporate budget or backing to it. I'm not a big fan of some aspects of it, from movement to the lack of "oomph" in the guns, but that's just me, I think it has an overall pretty decent production quality for what it is and how it became.

Diego_HoF wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:14 am
Letylove49 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:00 pm i think you can get ut on amazone for exemple.
Yeah, that is another legal way, but with the difference that Epic doesn´t get money for it, it is Amazon and the seller.
That sounds like a plus to me. Epic doesn't deserve the money. But now that I think about it, neither does Amazon. If anyone does, it's the original devs.

Stinky lazy executives who sit on stale stock whose sole function in life and contribution to "meritocracy" is watch that stock grow, while everyone else deals with a decadent economy of "austerity policy", publicly traded dumpsterfires, and unaddressed class relations slowly sucking the life out of the everyman and everywoman... No, I think the only thing they'll get from me is my stool.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Yea and to think that some people who worked on the original game like Myscha never received royalties from sales or anything. Because of the bad contract. And majority of people who worked on original Unreal and UT no longer work with Epic too. Even when they had a better contract.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:28 pm Yea and to think that some people who worked on the original game like Myscha never received royalties from sales or anything. Because of the bad contract. And majority of people who worked on original Unreal and UT no longer work with Epic too. Even when they had a better contract.

Who would have thought, a system where people work for projects owned by rich executives above them, ends up not being a good idea! Could you believe it! I'm sure no one could have possibly predicted this! /s
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Its just I remember Eric Reuter telling me about that they screwed them off the royalties. The digital extremes employees were better off iirc. But I suppose its not surprising given that they moved out (Epic) from the office in Canada to North Carolina because they couldn't pay the taxes etc imposed by Canadian government, acording to Mark Rein back then at least.
So its no strange they tried to do things as cheap as possible and only pay those people for their immediate work one time and never give them any sales profit....and with some other projects it was even worse, especially the outsourced stuff, where people from the cancelled projects didn't even get paid for their main work at all no matter how much time they spent on it.
They also didn't care to support some projects like Jazz3D or care to find a publisher who was interested, because it all was somehow world tree games responsibility, jazz3d being the first game with little to no direct epic involvement when it comes to Jazz Jackrabbit.

So there also things had to be ultra low budget as it had literally no backing.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:00 pm What's wrong with Xonotic?
Nothing. I like the game, like I said. I was referring to it's open source nature, and things that have happened to the game because of it. Really long story. But I do not want to derail. I am going to start a new thread right now, and better respond there.

EDIT: Here viewtopic.php?t=15697
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

Post by darkbarrage99 »

original post updated with news about community servers.

viewtopic.php?t=15589
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

For google search:

If you looking why in UnrealTournament.log or (server.log of your server) appear lines like

Code: Select all

Log: AInternetLink Resolve failed: Can't find host utmaster.epicgames.com (HOST_NOT_FOUND)
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Failed to resolve master server address, aborting.
or

Code: Select all

Log: AInternetLink Resolve failed: Can't find host utmaster.epicgames.com (WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND)
ScriptLog: UBrowserGSpyLink[utmaster.epicgames.com:28900]: Failed to resolve master server address, aborting.
or
similar lines about utmaster.epicgames.com or unreal.epicgames.com with error like "cannot be resolved" (NXDOMAIN)

Then you need read first post in this topic.