HUD map/radar

Discussions about UT99
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

HUD map/radar

Post by TheDane »

Have no fear, I'm retired from this game and have zero interest in returning. However, having that said, I handed over one of my WIP projects to an old friend from the long gone Danish sniper clan, who wanted to make a comeback for their server (zark sniper style). I've been asked to assist him in finishing my unfinished work, and I can't turn him down due to personal feelings.

He has little to medium knowledge about Uengine and Uscript, so he is stepping on very slippery ground. He wants to change my BR mod (WIP) into a zark sniper stylish mod, and have a map drawn on the HUD like in "Fortnite" where you can see where on the map your are. My mod was a BR mod, but his will NOT be a Battle Royale mod if that's what you hope for.

Now, I know this has been debated back in the days, but at the point where I left, noone ever got arround to figure aout how to "hack" the UE1 to be able to do this. So, my question is very simple, has anyone made such mod after I left? Or do I have to re-remember my Uscript knowledge to make this for him?

I'd appriciate any feedback you have on this as I fear my skillset is too weak at this point :tu:
Retired.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: HUD map/radar

Post by EvilGrins »

I only know of the radar mutator...
EvilGrins wrote: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:18 am playing around with a radar type mutator (left side HUD) as it either didn't have a ReadMe or I just missed it
yellow dots are monsters close to you, but monsters really high up read as white dots too

only tried it in MH so far
...but I can't find a download for it right now.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

TheDane wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:55 pm ..and have a map drawn on the HUD like in "Fortnite" where you can see where on the map your are.
I can't think of a mutator that draws the map on the HUD though there are several different radar mutators - R/radar_c367b089.html; radar_0f01cdc2.html; and movementlocator-20_7977fa73.html.
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

Super, No downloads needed, I got good inspiration and I think I know how to make what he wants, thank you :-)
Retired.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

UTRoyale lets you see it by sending the command "debugToggleRadarMap" in console. (You need bDebug set to True in UTRoyale gametype)
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

ran into some kind of bug, wanted to add the degree symbol after the number of degrees (ascii 248 °), but when added to a text string like this: Canvas.DrawText(int(vr)$"°", False); it display it on HUD with an annoying A in front? Does anyone know what causes that and how to fix?
Attachments
compassdegreebug.jpg
Retired.
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

It is caused by Encode ANSI special characters that UT99 doesn't like to render. I read somewhere that UT99 uses Encode UTF-16.
TexasGtar
Adept

Post by TexasGtar »

TheDane wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:32 pm ran into some kind of bug, wanted to add the degree symbol after the number of degrees (ascii 248 °), but when added to a text string like this: Canvas.DrawText(int(vr)$"°", False); it display it on HUD with an annoying A in front? Does anyone know what causes that and how to fix?
I don't know much about coding but in my limited work on websites we would sometimes hide text on a page by making it the same color as the background. Maybe if you can't get rid of it , you can hide it this way by making it "invisible"
Just a thought. Good luck.

Here is a page that might be useful to your quest.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2223
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

Found a way to hack the engine to draw degree correct on HUD, here is what I did:

Code: Select all

local string degreehack;

degreehack = "°";
	degreehack = Right(degreehack, 1);
	Canvas.StrLen(int(vr)$degreehack, XL, YL);
	Canvas.SetPos(Canvas.ClipX * 0.5 - 0.5 * XL, hight);
	Canvas.DrawText(int(vr)$degreehack, False);
Now it looks just the way I wanted it to look yehaw :-)

Seems pointless to use the right character of a 1 character long string value right? But, as it draws a two digit character on HUD, I asumed that the engine turned the degree symbol into such value, and gladly I was right about it :-)

Obvious, but yet.......... meh!
Attachments
degreehack.jpg
Retired.
Chris
Experienced

Post by Chris »

TheDane wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:34 pm Found a way to hack the engine to draw degree correct on HUD, here is what I did:

Code: Select all

local string degreehack;

degreehack = "°";
	degreehack = Right(degreehack, 1);
	Canvas.StrLen(int(vr)$degreehack, XL, YL);
	Canvas.SetPos(Canvas.ClipX * 0.5 - 0.5 * XL, hight);
	Canvas.DrawText(int(vr)$degreehack, False);
Now it looks just the way I wanted it to look yehaw :-)

Seems pointless to use the right character of a 1 character long string value right? But, as it draws a two digit character on HUD, I asumed that the engine turned the degree symbol into such value, and gladly I was right about it :-)

Obvious, but yet.......... meh!
The reason for why it shows up with that bogus character is because your source file encoding is wrong.
Open up your source file and change the encoding to ANSI, you'll then see the bogus character in the string litteral, at which point you can delete it and recompile.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

If you have plans for malformed characters perhaps mod won't be widely used. Some of your old assets were causing only Disk Errors at people not having your code page in their systems - By example I had to format partition for getting rid of those FAT errors. Isn't more wise to use standard English chars instead of borks ?
TheDane
Masterful

Post by TheDane »

Chris wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:36 pm The reason for why it shows up with that bogus character is because your source file encoding is wrong.
Open up your source file and change the encoding to ANSI, you'll then see the bogus character in the string litteral, at which point you can delete it and recompile.
I just double checked, the encoding already is ANSI? So, it should not be the cause of this :noidea
sektor2111 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:27 am If you have plans for malformed characters perhaps mod won't be widely used. Some of your old assets were causing only Disk Errors at people not having your code page in their systems - By example I had to format partition for getting rid of those FAT errors. Isn't more wise to use standard English chars instead of borks ?
Please explain malformed characters? I want to draw the degrees symbol, that's not malformed in any way? About "my" mod beeing used widely, this is not my mod, if it will be running on a public or private server I don't know at the moment?
Also please explain wich of my old "assets" that are causing disk errors? I haven't got the slightest idea of what you are talking about? And what is my code page? And what FAT errors? I've never recieved any feedback about any of my mods having issues like you speak of, so please, be more specific?
The degree symbol is not English or "borks" as you say, it's a universal symbol? I opened this topic to get help adressing an issue, please, by all means, hit me with lines of code using your English charset degree symbol that works then?
Retired.
Chris
Experienced

Post by Chris »

TheDane wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:56 am
Chris wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:36 pm The reason for why it shows up with that bogus character is because your source file encoding is wrong.
I just double checked, the encoding already is ANSI? So, it should not be the cause of this :noidea
sektor2111 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:27 am If you have plans for malformed characters perhaps mod won't be widely used. Some of your old assets were causing only Disk Errors at people not having your code page in their systems - By example I had to format partition for getting rid of those FAT errors. Isn't more wise to use standard English chars instead of borks ?
Please explain malformed characters? I want to draw the degrees symbol, that's not malformed in any way? About "my" mod beeing used widely, this is not my mod, if it will be running on a public or private server I don't know at the moment?
Also please explain wich of my old "assets" that are causing disk errors? I haven't got the slightest idea of what you are talking about? And what is my code page? And what FAT errors? I've never recieved any feedback about any of my mods having issues like you speak of, so please, be more specific?
The degree symbol is not English or "borks" as you say, it's a universal symbol? I opened this topic to get help adressing an issue, please, by all means, hit me with lines of code using your English charset degree symbol that works then?
It's definitely an encoding issue. I tested it on my end too. Attach your source file here and I can take a look.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:27 ammalformed characters
What is a "malformed character"? If you use different code pages for example characters will look different but there is no way to determine what is the "correct" one.
sektor2111 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:27 amSome of your old assets were causing only Disk Errors at people not having your code page in their systems - By example I had to format partition for getting rid of those FAT errors.
I'd like to see a proof of that :loool:
Creating disk errors with UScript is not possible IMO (don't come with permanently reading/writing causes a mass storage system to fail at some time - that's normal behaviour).
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I ain't say anything about UScript, I said about resources, folders/files involved.
Proof ? Did you read my post ? I formatted partition years ago - right after his "death". I unpacked those resources with funky names, and later I was surprised that I could not move those folders/files, the rest of data on disk had no problems. I'm not sure if I have that original archive somewhere and even if I would find it I won't unpack anything again.

For your knowledge, I witnessed such errors on Machines having USA as ONLY code page and some documents were copied from elsewhere - Some errors have been returned by Scandisk, yeah :loool: exactly :agree1:. And No, I'm not crazy I recall well some of lousy PC things which I witnessed.

I you want another similar craps like that, look for some Android apps using stupid names (coming from other planet maybe), copy them from phone to PC and back and do some file handling tasks - you might have some entertaining occurrences... I was about to lose my backups and since that moment I'm renaming all TRASH used as app names in common names out of "characters" and I did not see any issue anymore. And yes, Android as a brother of Linux also might do damage at this point into Win Systems - already happened. You might want to see a custom Romanian file name in Android translated into a Win machine how does it looks like - with a sort of alias code page installed as well - some Eastern Europe. When a file is saved from elsewhere into machine without that code page or another sort of naming deal, you can expect troubles if you want to move/delete that file. When you'll see such things don't say I did not warn you. If German specific stuff is well aligned between various platforms this doesn't mean that it's the same for everyone and for all countries. Already a lot of applications had patches for fixing various language issues, because YES, there are issues here.
And Yes, I'm polite and No, I'm not bullshitting.