The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest!

Post by papercoffee »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:01 pm
papercoffee wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:30 am my 2 cents ...include it but in a subfolder and the subfolder name has a warning. :mrgreen:
How long can I make a subfolder name? :ironic:

Code: Select all

MostRiDiCuLoUsMap_warning_unplayable_on_purpose
:ironic: should work
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Just give the subfolder the name of the map and in the readme give a more detailed explanation.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

OjitroC wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:47 pm Just give the subfolder the name of the map and in the readme give a more detailed explanation.
No one reads readMes
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

papercoffee wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:31 pm
OjitroC wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:47 pm Just give the subfolder the name of the map and in the readme give a more detailed explanation.
No one reads readMes
That's because no one likes being told what to do.

If you include a SorryForBotheringYouButMayYouPleaseReadMe instead, then people may actually feel inclined read it. :idea:
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

papercoffee wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:31 pm
No one reads readMes
Perhaps I should have put 'readme'? I mean a text document that explains the purpose of the map pack - that gives details of the Contest, of the submitted maps and their authors, of the map winning the contest etc, etc - and also that draws attention to/promotes UT99.org.

I thought the intention was to provide a 'readme' going by what UnrealGGecko said earlier in this thread?

If that isn't done then people are going to wonder why is a map labelled "MostRiDiCuLoUsMap_warning_unplayable_on_purpose" being distributed, much as they will wonder "what is The most RiDiCuLoUs Mapping Contest! and why have a ridiculous mapping contest".
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

papercoffee wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:31 pmNo one reads readMes
I skim them.

Always looking for old UT-sites that may still be up.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Contest where some people are just making useless UNR files - you can happily delete those from boy(/s ?) which I don't see capable to do a single usable map - I think you know what is about... and not having anything than "DefaultTexture"... Info: We don't pay anything for using stock Textures.
I recommend renaming to Useless Mapping Contest - UMC in order to make new comers aware about junk posting...
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sektor2111 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:58 am Contest where some people are just making useless UNR files - you can happily delete those from boy(/s ?) which I don't see capable to do a single usable map - I think you know what is about... and not having anything than "DefaultTexture"... Info: We don't pay anything for using stock Textures.
I recommend renaming to Useless Mapping Contest - UMC in order to make new comers aware about junk posting...
I don't think you know any of my maps beside this one, but either way, there's no "DefaultTexture" in that map, if I'd have left it as default then selecting a texture and rebuilding would replace those surface's texture with the selected one and that doesn't happen because I chose to apply that exact texture myself.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:36 amthere's no "DefaultTexture" in that map
I believe he's referring to that sort of off-white moldy looking thing that UT uses when no texture is available.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:12 am
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:36 amthere's no "DefaultTexture" in that map
I believe he's referring to that sort of off-white moldy looking thing that UT uses when no texture is available.
Yep, I was referring to that same texture indeed. Tho in the case of that map I placed that texture myself. If it was placed by default then selecting a texture in browser and rebuilding the map would automatically replace the textures applied by default with the one you selected in the browser. That doesn't happen cause I deliberately applied that texture.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:36 am there's no "DefaultTexture" in that map,
PrinceOfFunky wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:09 pm Tho in the case of that map I placed that texture myself.
:sleep: