Dealing with a persistent cheater

Pileyrei
Masterful
Personal rank: UT Survivor

Dealing with a persistent cheater

Post by Pileyrei »

Hi Unreal Legends...…

My server currently has no ACE installed. In order to run ACE 10H my provider (gameservers.com) have to move the server to a new machine for ACE 10H to work. Once that is done I'll have a new IP and should be able to install it.

That said, I have a feeling it wont help.

There is a player who likes to join under different nick's. He plays nicely for a few frags and then turns on whatever bot he has.
180 degree snapping etc. For now, all I do is kick him from the mapvote. He returns with a new nick or sometimes the same within about 25 seconds.
Looking at the server manager I see his IP change each time so I guess he is simply using a VPN to a new destination to get a new IP. After he has been kicked about 5 times the nicks start changing to "Pileygayadmin" etc as he begins to get excited.

For a laugh, I logged in as admin, cleared all bots, went god status and flying......and just took him out.
Then came the "I rape your family", "kill your kids"....and all other lovely insults.

What a guy :lol:

So apart from being a rather interesting person (would love to know what he is like in real life), can anyone recommend a way to keep him off my server?
He keeps changing IP and nick so I need a better method rather than just kick/ban.

Thanks for reading. PM's welcome if needed.

Piley

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Re: Dealing with a persistent cheater

Post by esnesi »

Probably same guy who is terrorizing multiple servers lately.

When i am at home, i will send you a script, which adds his IP-address in your firewall as a BLOCK Rule. *
You only have to put his IP in a txt file, and double-click BLOCK.bat
After 10 secs, he wil be auto disconnected from your server, and will see it unreachable from then on. (9999 ping)

Of course, when he uses VPN, or other tunneling software there is nothing you can do.
( i use hostnameban to check hostnames, but hardly works )

9 out of the 10 cheaters i block, don't come back after when their IP is blocked.

* is a solution for Windows servers only.
Is you're running Linux i would suggest UFW and SNORT.
SNORT gives you more insight in which connections are routed to your server. (need some networking knowledge) https://www.snort.org/
UFW is Uncomplicated FireWall for Linux, and works with IP-tables which can be allowed or blocked. https://www.linux.com/learn/introductio ... rewall-ufw
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Thanks buddy.

It’s from game servers so Linux.

I have a few other ideas but appreciate the suggestions and help.

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
esnesi
Godlike

Post by esnesi »

Pileyrei wrote:Thanks buddy.

It’s from game servers so Linux.

I have a few other ideas but appreciate the suggestions and help.
Thats exactly the reason why i chose for local hosting.

Have you tried opening a support ticket with them?
They probably need advanced proof or something.
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

I doubt they can help but I suppose it’s worth asking.

This definitely seems like the “guy” who is trying to mess up servers.
Threatening to install a virus etc. Lol.

There must be a way to keep him off or at least make it hard for him.

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
esnesi
Godlike

Post by esnesi »

Probably indeed.

Problem is that you have control over the firewall.

But GameServers should have a existing policy for this though that should offer some options.

Maybe this mutator can do something in the meantime:
http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... an_v12.zip
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

Thanks for the link.

Game servers have moved my server so we have a new IP. I'll setup ACE 10 tonight as a start.

Years ago I had an idea for a "admin tool" but in the end there was more negativity towards it so I stopped asking about it.

Imagine this - admin can put a player into Ghandi or Princess mode! Player has no weapons and if they pick one up it just auto toss's it back :lol:
Player also gets muted in a special way - every time they say something, what they typed is ignored and instead something from a preconfigured file is said - for example, "This is the best server ever!"

Man that would just be fun to make this guy go MAD! But I have no coding skills to make something like that :x

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
esnesi
Godlike

Post by esnesi »

Pileyrei wrote:Thanks for the link.

Game servers have moved my server so we have a new IP. I'll setup ACE 10 tonight as a start.

Years ago I had an idea for a "admin tool" but in the end there was more negativity towards it so I stopped asking about it.

Imagine this - admin can put a player into Ghandi or Princess mode! Player has no weapons and if they pick one up it just auto toss's it back :lol:
Player also gets muted in a special way - every time they say something, what they typed is ignored and instead something from a preconfigured file is said - for example, "This is the best server ever!"

Man that would just be fun to make this guy go MAD! But I have no coding skills to make something like that :x
That sounds like a powerful idea!
Never thought of it that way!

I will talk to ultimatenewnet dev about creating a command for admins that makes a player carry no weapon.
Seems like a small feature that could be build-in quite simple. (assumption though)

It will definitely de-motivate the cheater to stay around.
NexGen should be able to atleast mute the player, but yeah same here;
No coding skills.

Nice one!
To be continued from my side!
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

I see lots of posts with people saying you can't beat or get rid of the cheaters.

So if that's the case, then I see no reason why admins can't at least have some fun with them.

I love the idea of the auto weapon toss function and a they get muted (or if they try to talk an auto message comes up like "I am princess" or similar :lol: ).

There is a mod that puts players into Ghandi mode (lamerbuster) - check it out:

http://www.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=A ... ter107.zip

From the readme:

GandhiMode

The Gandhi-mode is a special kind of punishment for lamers, who havecommitted more violations, than is allowed on the server, just likethe KickPlayer option with a slight difference: the lamer loses allhis weapons. Yes, right! Everytime the lamer picks up a new weapon,LamerBuster will remove the weapon, so that the lamer has to survivesomehow until the end of the match. When a new match starts,everything is reset again.

:lol: :tu: :lol:

Of course, this cheater would just disconnect and join with new IP/Nick

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

If it is the same German player I think it is, he kept joining when me and isense were testing a build of NUTStats, he was raging, and cheating like mad thinking he was annoying us, but he was unwillingly helping us, after ppinting it out many timea he was still to dumb to realize.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I'm retired from gaming but reading this really pissed me off. At the risk of pulling a ban on myself I'll offer making you a nuclear payload that will destroy the cheaters installed game in such a way that they will need to reinstall it to play again. It would be a 'last and final' option but you would have solid revenge.

You should think about this for a bit before responding. Actually implementing this would make both you and I the 'bad guys'. I'm fine with that because I just don't care one iota but you are an active server admin who will have destroyed a client's game. Further players will know you have that ability and will need to trust you. You'll also need to be EXTREMELY careful not to call the nuclear strike on the wrong player. Doing so and having the player complain to your gaming host would surely get you removed and likely banned.

If you are interested you know my email. I'm happy to talk about it with either of you.

(BTW, this pretty much goes against the spirit and ethos of this board and I understand if staff doesn't want it discussed)
So long, and thanks for all the fish
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Pileyrei wrote:180 degree snapping
If the problem is the snapping mod, an easy script could be made to check it. In this mutator I've made a callback called "ActorAiming()" which tells what the pawn was aiming at before and what it is aiming at at the moment the callback is called, I believe that thanks to the vector parameters you can get the player's ViewRotation (or you can just save the values using a ValueRegister) and see if it was a snap or not.
I would test it on my own but I use a newer version of that mutator which I didn't publish because I left it incomplete.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

all you need to know about banning him/her/it once and for all is right here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/434 ... ial-number

Code it native, have nploader to launch it - viola! Linux players can ** **** ********** and use wine :-)
Retired.
Aldebaran
Masterful

Post by Aldebaran »

[...]
Last edited by Aldebaran on Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pileyrei
Masterful

Post by Pileyrei »

UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote:If it is the same German player I think it is, he kept joining when me and isense were testing a build of NUTStats, he was raging, and cheating like mad thinking he was annoying us, but he was unwillingly helping us, after ppinting it out many timea he was still to dumb to realize.
I have heard it is a "German" player so probably the guy you mention. I bet he has a stable job, relationship, etc but is just mental beneath the surface.
JackGriffin wrote:I'm retired from gaming but reading this really pissed me off.
~SNIP~
Please see your PM's Jack
TheDane wrote:all you need to know about banning him/her/it once and for all is right here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/434 ... ial-number

Code it native, have nploader to launch it - viola! Linux players can ** **** ********** and use wine :-)
Thank you for the link. All I can say is that kind of effort is way above my pay grade/skill level :(

Our Server

[donate][/donate]
Donate to UT99.org!